Fees and Insurance
Cathedral was founded on the belief that mental health services should be excellent, affordable and available to anyone in need. Thanks to the generosity of Cathedral supporters, including our therapists who give back by reducing their hourly rates, fees are based on the client's ability to pay.
How Fees Are Set
After you inquire about services at Cathedral, you will have a phone interview with an intake counselor. He or she will ask preliminary questions about your financial resources and give you an estimated fee. In your first counseling session, your therapist will have a more detailed discussion with you about your finances and work with you to establish your fee.
- Fees are based on your household financial situation.
- Insurance, including Medicare, may reduce the amount you pay.
- Clients sign a fee agreement, which is kept on file with Cathedral's billing coordinator.
Cathedral Counseling Center is a contracted provider for the following insurance companies:
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO
- Blue Choice PPO
- Medicare Part B
Cathedral Counseling Center provides in-network services for students with insurance from the following universities:
- Northwestern University
- School of the Art Institute
- University of Chicago
Cathedral Counseling Center is considered out-of-network for the following insurance companies. The agency will submit your claims and let you know what benefits they provide:
- Aetna PPO
- Cigna PPO
- Humana PPO
- United Healthcare PPO
The following insurances will not cover mental health services at Cathedral Counseling Center:
- All HMOs
- Aetna Better Health
- Blue Cross Blue Shield MMAI
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Community Care
- County Care
- Illini Care
The following is a list of questions to ask your insurance company before you receive mental health services at Cathedral Counseling Center:
- Are mental health benefits covered under my insurance plan?
- Does my insurance plan manage my mental health benefits or does it outsource to another agency?
- Do I need pre-authorization from my insurance company before I can see a mental health professional?
- Do I have a deductible for services?
- Are there co-payments or co-insurance for services?
- Can I see providers at St. James Cathedral Counseling Center, tax id# 36-2802086?
- Will these services be considered in- or out-of-network?
- Are there any visit limits on my coverage for my mental health benefits?
Glossary of terms:
Deductible: The amount you must pay before your health insurance company starts to pay for care, for example, $1000 per individual. In most cases, a new deductible must be satisfied each calendar year.